Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tribute to our Dad

Today would have been my Dad's 93rd birthday, he passed away June, 2005 and I will remember and honour him here today.

Dad and Mom's 50th Anniversary,

Dad and Mom with daughter's and husbands,

Dieter, Patsy, Judith and Klaus (Woody)






Below daughters and grandchildren in 1998.



Dad's 82nd Birhday, Daughter Judith, grandchilren and great grandchildren.









82nd Birthday with Judith and me!


Easter 2004. This is a great picture of Dad, showing the twinkle in his eye and his wonderful smile.






Dad loved animals.
Christmas 04.



The tribute to our Dad that I gave at his funeral.

Our Dad, what can I say! Son, Son-in-law, Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great-grandfather, businessman and community worker, he had many roles in his life and handled them all with commitment, grace and much love. He was a very fair man, usually kind, gentle, steadfast and caring man. He earned respect and gave respect to most people he ever met in his long life. He cared for his wife, family and community with quiet strength and dedication. If I knew anything about this man that was our Dad, I knew I could always count on him to be there, follow through on commitments. I learned young in life that if Dad said yes or no to a question there was no convincing him with pleading, whining, or cajoling. I didn’t always agree with his responses but I grew to respect his decisions and it was so comforting to know that I could always count on him to be steadfast in his decisions.
Dad was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba June 7, 1916 and moved with his parents to Calgary, Alberta when he was a year old. He grew up in Calgary with his younger brother, Robert (Uncle Bob) as we knew him then eventually moved into the Edmonton area and out to Barrhead with his parents during the 1930’s. The depression was hard on his family as it was on everyone then. He took a part-time job on a farm to help out, this was a turning point in his life as it turned out that is where he met my Mom. He often talked about those days saying that is where he and Mom started working as a team and fell in love and they worked as a team from that day forward. They were only sixteen years old but he was hooked for life. He told us that Mom would come and stay at her Aunt Elsie’s on weekends, he would walk up the street to call on her with much trepidation because he found Aunt Elsie was in his words “a formidable figure of a women” and he was a little afraid Aunt Elsie would not let him in the door”. Obviously things went okay. Dad
They married August 7th, 1940 and continued their love affair for nearly 55 years. Dad served in the Air Force during the war and while in the forces he and Mom were blessed with the birth of two daughters, Judith and me. Returning when the war was over to purchase some farmland next to my Grandparents (Munstermans) next to the Pembina River in the Rossington area. He and Mom worked together on the farm for many years. Most winters Dad had to work out to support the farm, he suffered through floods and hail storms, those first few years were very tough. Dad finally decided he needed a full time job to support the family and farm so took a job in Barrhead as an Electrician (a trade he learned in the Services) at Don’s Electric and farmed on weekends and some weeknights to keep the farm going. My parents moved to Barrhead when I started Grade 1. Dad attended SAIT earning his Certificate of Refrigeration Mechanic and Radio Technician in 1954. Dad kept farming the land for a few years with some help from a good friend Jock Slaughter. I have many good memories of riding in the truck to the farm with him and Mom and of course I spent most of my time with my grandparents playing with cousins that would show up on the weekends while Dad and Mom did the work. I also have memories of having to work in the garden, pick berries, and pick debris off the fields after the land was flooded. Man did I hate those jobs! After a few years Dad decided that he and Mom couldn’t do both so he rented the farmland to a neighbor who in time purchased the farm.

Dad and Mom purchased Don’s Electric in 1955, they had worked together at Don’s Electric since 1950, renamed the business Betts’ Radio & T.V. later changing the name to AB Betts Refrigeration & T.V. Ltd. They worked together in that business until retirement in 1978. During the years Dad earned an Engineers Degree in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, a Certificate in Appliance Service and upgraded his Radio Technician Certificate. He and Mom built a new house in 1956 where he resided until Sept, 2001 (Mom passed away in 1995) when he decided that it was time to move into Hillcrest Lodge. This would allow more time for playing pool, golfing and bowling activities that he enjoyed. Dad belonged and worked for many community clubs, the Kinsmen Club, The Legion, The Chamber of Commerce just to name a few. He and Mom were also active in the United Church for a number of years. Dad always believed that you did not just join clubs you also committed yourself so always did his share of the work. He also supported the community as a whole with donations of time and money. He could be counted on to set up the sound system for the Hockey Games in the old arena and also the sound system for November 11th services for many years. Dad was always ready to help out his neighbor, friends or community in any way that he could. He led a very busy life!

I have so many good memories of my Dad it was hard to just pick out a few to share with you today. I leaned so much from my Dad, there is hardly a day that goes by that I do not find myself thinking you know I am lucky that Dad taught me this.



Dad, March 27, 2005, we love and miss you Dad but have many happy memories of our time shared together.
Patsy, Klaus (Woody) and family.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Patsy: What a wonderful memorial tribute to your dad. Sounds like a great man, loving father, hard worker, and community oriented person. I am glad you have all those fond memories of him and your Mom.. HH in Pa

Patsy and Woody said...

Thank you Richard, he was a great man and I am so thankful that I have so many great memories!