Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dragoon Mountains

WOW, it has been over a year since I last posted on our blog, not a good thing and I know I will regret not keeping our blog up to date.  With encouragement from some friends I made a commitment to myself to make time each day for making notes to transpose to our blog, today I shall be true to myself and keep that commitment! I will do some catch up posting but not much.

It is interesting how difficult it is to create the habit of writing down ones thoughts and experiences once you lose the habit.  I am not sure everyone suffers from this but for me forming good habits takes commitment and bad habits just seem to sneak into my life without any effort on my part, why is that???  I have developed one good habit this winter though, I am back going to the pool regularly for exercise, Woody says he is going come with me and use the gym equipment while I use the pool which will be great, we both can do what we enjoy and stay in shape!
Woody went for a drive today with friend Charlie through the Dragoon Mountains, a range of small mountains about 25 miles long running south-south east through Willcox. The mountain range is one of Arizona's "sky islands". Mt. Glenn (7,520 ft/2,292 m) is highest point in the Dragoon Mountains. The Little Dragoon Mountains are the continuation of the Dragoon Mountains north of Texas Canyon. The mountains were included in the short-lived Dragoon National Forest, which was established in 1907 and combined into Coronado National Forest in 1908, in the Douglas Ranger District.  Cochise Stronghold Memorial Park lies near Mt. Glen on the eastern slope of the range and the historic town of Tombstone can be found at the southwestern portion of the range. Tombstone is 10 miles from our winter home of Tombstone Territories RV Park. The mountains also boost a few ghost towns.  

 Woody said it was a beautiful drive and we shall make the trip one day and will plan to stop at the Cochise Stronghold. The round trip is about 90 miles (144km) and many of those miles are “primitive roads” which means it is rocky, gravel and only maintained about once a year, which means traversing those roads is very slow going and one only wants to be driving on them in dry weather.

You can click on any of these pictures for a larger view.


 The camera is good but a camera can never capture what the eye can see.

No comments: