Saturday, September 6, 2008

Cookie's first night and first full day with us

First night went exceeding well, put Cookie to bed at 12:30 am after taking her and Oreo out for a play, Cookie did her business like a good little girl we had a short play, she is already following Oreo around and loves to run after me, so cute. For a little dog with short legs, she can run fast, have to watch I do not step on her. Cookie settled down to sleep in her house without any fuss and did not wake up until 4:15 am I got up took her and Oreo outside and after a short play we came in, I gave Cookie some time to have a little nosh I cuddled her for a short time then put her back to bed, she cried for a very short time, she wanted to stay up and play. Oreo did not know what to do, she kept coming to our bed, and going back to Cookie’s house, Oreo figured out I was not going to get up she settled down beside our bed. I want Cookie to get into the habit of going directly back to bed during the night. I did the same with Oreo and it worked very well, after two nights Oreo did not cry after going back to bed. During the day the door on Cookie’s house will be open, she can come and go as she pleases. Woody got up at 5:15 am and left to go hunting around 5:45, I thought for sure Cookie would want to get up when she heard him but she slept until 6:40, what a good little girl! I must admit this is earliest I have been up since we settled back in Alberta I actually saw the sunrise! By 8:00 am both dogs are sleeping, so think I will catch a quick snooze also, wrong, just like a baby Cookie starts crying about 8:30, I get up and I think, oh well this stage will only last for a short time, so I will enjoy every moment. I am not sure if she wants to play or needs to go out, I watch her carefully, seems she just wanted out to play but I was wrong, a little later while I was not watching she did her thing. Okay my fault, next time I will just take her out right away, it will take a few days to figure out her timing, we are both learning.
Honestly my days now are just filled with looking after Cookie, watching her carefully, for potty time, what is she trying to chew on, making sure she and Oreo get equal attention, walking the trails with them. Walking anywhere with Cookie is a challenge, she wants to be right under my feet, have to walk very carefully watching for her all the time. Oreo is always running ahead and then back to me, they are both learning to look out for each other. Cookie can only walk so far then wants to carried for bit, then back down to run some more, with her little short legs she is always running then stopping to smell plants, picking up little sticks and carrying leaves in her mouth, she is a way too cute!
We have a group in the campground this weekend, a local ball team's wind up party, great group, they are coming and going between playing their last games of the season in a local tournament. Woody is busy of course looking after the group very well, moving wood to the group campfire with the tractor, explaining the water situation (well is drying up) so informing that we can turn on a tap to our cistren if they need water for drinking, cooking or washing up dishes and helping them move tables etc. A couple of the group came to the fifth wheel to let us know that they will probably not obey the quiet time rule, we assure them that is okay, we are a ways away from the campers, so it will not bother us if they stay up late playing music, etc. They all of course love Cookie, poor Oreo is banished to her bed whenever someone comes to our door, she still has not learned that greeting people by jumping on them is not apprpriate behaviour. Part of the reason is that many people think it is okay, so let her jump up, then pet her while she has her two front feet planted on them when they meet her.
Overall a good day, hunting season has opened here so Woody is going out morning and evening hopeful of harvesting a whitetail so we will have some venison!

No comments: