Friday, January 21, 2011

Jan. 17th to Jan. 21st

Well here it is Friday and I have not made a post to our blog, cannot believe how the time just slips away. I still do not have the videos transferred from our expiring external hard drive due to the fact my beloved wonderful computer had the hiccups. My first step was to use the restore system and when that did not fix the issue I ran every program I have one by one to try and solve the issue and spent many hours reading online regarding the error message I was getting and the sad part is if the computer has the same issue again I probably won’t remember exactly what I had to do to fix it, but it running smoothly now and I do have a feeling of satisfaction for having solved the issue! Once I got my computer running smoothly I did all the year end financial fun stuff! I have a database set up in Access which tracks all our expenses and I create all the year end reports; it is scary and interesting to see where our money went! I can also see the difference in our spending habits over the years which is cool!

The weather has been beautiful all week, no freezing temps at night with warm sunny days we just cannot ask for more.

We attended a Soup and Sandwich Potluck Tuesday and as usual the food was awesome and we all brought home leftovers! Potlucks are great, you eat food prepared by someone else and at the same time have the opportunity to visit with friends and meet new folks at the park.

The last three mornings we have been serenaded by a wonderful bird that perches on the tree top and sings his heart out and hangs around for about 3 hours, I think it is a Mocking Bird but I am not sure, bought a bird book last year and cannot locate the darn thing, can you believe one can loose stuff in such a small space. The other nature type story is of honey bees eating our songbird seeds. I asked our Activity Directors if they had any idea why bees would be eating seeds and they did not (they have lived in the area for years), so I went online to check it out. Turns out that when the weather is warmer than usual they come out looking for food, there are no flowers, etc., for them to snack on so they find bird feeders, empty most of the seeds on the ground snacking on the pollen that is in the dust when the feed is bagged and also will eat Millet and some other songbird seeds. The hungry little bees can empty a six cup feeder in about 4 hours and the birds will not challenge the bees but they will eat the seed that the busy little bees dump on the ground. We waited a couple of days to refill the feeder (we have other different type feeders that the bees do not bother) and Woody strained the seed to get rid of the dust, well 20 minutes after hanging up the feeder the bees were back, so now we are feeding the birds and the bees!















This is not a good picture, I took it from the wrong angle and you cannot see the bees that are against the tree truck and also the bees that are in the tray of the feeder, this photo was taken at 1:42 pm.












This photo was taken at 3:14 pm and you see it is empty except for a little dust, most of the seeds are on the ground and the bees left a short time later.

We are going to attend the Jam Session this evening so will go and have dinner. Hope you had a great day!

No comments: