Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A New Project


I started a new sewing project today, took me awhile to decide what I wanted to create.  I like to make items that are useful or that I can give as gifts, I kept looking at all the sewing patterns that I have saved and finally choose a “Casserole Tote”.  We attend many potlucks while at our winter home so having a tote will be handy.  I have not made this before so it will be interesting and a challenge.  I am using material that was given to me by our friend Cheri in AZ and decided I would do a patchwork instead of using one colour material.  I choose the patchwork pattern which I thought would work, next challenge was creating the paper pattern, instructions directed me to create a circle with a 17 ½ “ diameter, that is a test in itself, I used some scrap paper taped together, Woody’s compass a string and pencil drawing half the circle then moving the paper to draw the other half due to the small space I have to work in.  With Woody’s help I made cardboard pattern pieces for the patchwork, cut out and sewed up some squares.  I decided that each seam will have to sewn twice, one straight then go over all edges with a zigzag stitch as the one material I am using frays very easily and even though the tote will be quilted and lined I don’t want to chance the seams coming apart when washed, that would be a disaster, all the work for not!  There will be some waste using patch worked blocks but I’ll try to keep it to a minimum and keep any worthy scraps for other projects.  I always have to stay patient when I am creating something and remind myself that taking my time pays in the long run, I am always tempted to short cut even though it usually makes more work in the end.  I managed to get some blocks cut, sewn and pressed today, a great start!!

While sewing today pine cones were dropping on the roof of the fifth wheel making a loud noise, the first one startled me and scared the dogs, Muffin ran and hid, Cookie came and cowered under my chair, poor puppies.  It was not windy so I suspected a squirrel was at work, I went outside and sure enough there was a squirrel in the pine tree on the limbs that hangs over the fifth wheel, I watched him tug at the pine cones and run across the limb, down the tree to hide the cone.  The little guy was also loosening some and dropping them, which landed on our roof.  I came in a grabbed the camera but could not get a good picture of him he is so quick, but it sure was fun to watch!

No comments: