Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Tracy and other stuff


Today is daughter Tracy’s birthday, she and family are on vacation so I hope she has a very special birthday celebration!!!  Happy Birthday Tracy, much love from Mom and Dad see you when you return. 
The wildfires in northern Alberta are now out, the evacuation notice was lifted July 20th and I cannot imagine how happy the residents are to be home.  The large fire near Zama Lake (901+ km/559+ miles) north of us decimated over 253000 hectares (625000 acres) of forest and as far as I know no buildings were burned which is awesome.  Many species of wildlife lost their habitat and of course many species of wildlife lost their lives, it will take many years for the forest to recoup but recoup it will!
The bear situation here has not changed, we have two bears a male and female, the male has been feeding on 2 very large ant hills in the trees just off the walking path which leads to the Watchable Wildlife Building on the shore of Devil’s Lake as well of course on the berries.  We are hopeful the bear will move on when the berries are gone.  We have tons of wild strawberries, raspberries, saskatoons, and other wild berries that bears will eat but we don’t.  We have been very diligent regarding warning folks who come to the park to pick berries and hike; we do not want any incidents.  Many of the trails are not passable now due to all the rain, some portions of some trails are totally under water, knee deep water.  Earlier this summer we had many hikers come to the park daily but the word has gotten around and very few people are frequenting the trails now. 
We are doing well, keeping busy and enjoying our summer in the park.  I do love the long daylight hours although they are noticeably shorter already but still light long after 10 pm.  There has been lots of wild weather in Alberta this year and a few tornados touched down, no major damage so far and we have been very lucky to avoid damaging hail which has fallen around us.     What can I say, we are feeling very lucky and blessed!
I am sharing an email I received from a friend, I utterly love the play on words and hope you enjoy as much as we did.
The last sentence is not a play on words but absolutely priceless!   I printed this and hung it on our Bullentin Board so we can have the pleasure of reading it every day!

My Inconclusive Travel Plans for 2012

I have been in many places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone.

I've also never been in Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.

I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made several trips there, thanks to my friends, family and work.

I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump, and I'm not too much on physical activity anymore.

I have also been in Doubt. That is a sad place to go, and I try not to visit there too often.

I've been in Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.

Sometimes I'm in Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.

One of my favorite places to be is in Suspense! It really gets the adrenalin flowing and pumps up the old heart! At my age I need all the stimuli I can get!

I may have been in Continent, and I don't remember what country I was in. It's an age thing. They tell me it is very wet and damp there.

I hope everyone is happy in your head - we're all doing pretty well in mine!

No comments: