Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Some wild flowers and other stuff

Woke up to a beautiful sunny, warm day, Woody was eager this morning wanting everything shipshape for the group that was arriving around 2:30 pm today. After the weekend, the garbage cans need emptying, some mowing done in the campsites, bathrooms swept and restocked with TP, etc. Woody went out to start the big tractor one tire is low, okay get the compressor and pump it up, I take Oreo and we are off for our morning walk/play on the trail. While out walking I hear the little tractor running and when I return Woody asks me to listen for the compressor, when it stops continue adding air to the tire, while he is mowing. The little compressor would not do the job, Woody makes a couple of phone calls, off he goes to borrow a larger compressor, returns, as he is blowing the tire up he notices the tire is coming off the rim. A couple of more phone calls, O F & G member (Ron) came to the rescue! They removed the tire and Ron takes it to the shop for repair. In the meantime, Woody continues mowing grass; I looked after the bathroom detail and swept off the sidewalks, we then grab a quick late lunch. Ron returns with the repaired tire and they are in the process of mounting the tire when the group starts pulling in as well as O F & G member, Josie who looks after reservations for the campground, she looked after getting the group settled in and then gave me the changes that were made, thank you Josie! Next year we will have a cell phone with the number listed in the brochure to look after all reservations but for this year it was decided to leave it in Josie’s capable hands as her cell number is the number listed to contact for reservations. Woody looked after the garbage detail and then cleaned out the large group fire pit for the group’s use they prefer to use it instead of the individual pits. Cleaning the fire pit was a major job, as it has not been maintained very well. To dispose of the bucket full of ashes he dug a hole to bury the ashes near the edge of trees in an unused area of the campground as instructed by O F & G Association. Around 4:30 pm, Woody left for town to return the air compressor after making use of it to clean up the big tractor, blowing all the accumulated fuzz, dirt, and grass from the filters, etc. Oreo and I went for a much-needed walk/play after he left as I have spent a large part of my afternoon working on the blog and trying to fine-tune my campground reservation spreadsheet. Just after 6:00 pm Scott called, Scott his wife Jill and Woody arranged to meet at a friend of Scott’s to look at some archery equipment he had for sale, should be interesting to see what he comes home with. I spent time catching up at my favourite forum, Oreo snoozed; now she is asking to go out and play, guess I will oblige, walking the trails is always great.





Can you see Oreo in the undergrowth? She is looking for her fetch toy.











Wild Raspberries fighting to survive in the dense growth beneath the trees



I do not know the name of these, they grow every where in this area.
Oreo bringing back her toy so I will throw it again. When she tires of chasing it she picks it up and starts walking ahead of me down the path.

We were returning from our walk on the trails when Woody calls me, I can tell he is all excited, he says he has a surprise for me, I immediately thought, oh yeah what did he buy. Just as I was coming up to the fifth, Woody is stepping out and sees me coming, he walks out, I say “so what is the surprise”?, “I spent some money” is his reply, “well that is no surprise I pretty much knew you would” I reply, “so what did you buy”?. He brings out the box, “I bought you a new bow and it is a real nice one, I got a real good deal on it, saved lots of money”. Hmm, I think interesting concept, how can you save money by spending money on something I was not sure I even needed, but he really thought I needed a lighter bow and a smaller one. Woody is excitedly opening the box and showing me all the goodies that went with the bow, now I am getting excited, as it real is a nice little bow, so much smaller than the one I have. He is still busy explaining how much he had saved, then he says, I bought something else also, a ground blind, that was not a real surprise, he has been talking about wanting one for awhile so I knew he would eventually get one. He pulls the box out of truck and shows me the picture on the box, “well aren’t you going to set it up?” “Not tonight” he says, “well come on I want to see it” I say, so he pulls it out of the box, all the time telling me how nice it is and how easy it is to set up. Then he tries to set it up, I should have had the video camera running at this point, it was so funny! I watch while he tries to figure out how to set it up, he unfolds one side and tries to pull out the other side, then the first side just rolls up again, he rolled it around the yard the bit, and then I hear, “What the hell, how does this thing work”. I suggest he look at the instructions, he grabs the box, looks in and says “there are no instructions”, I can see the instructions from where I am sitting, they are attached to the opening the storage bag, so I get up to show him when he finally sees them. I am sitting there just laughing; he asked for my assistance and between the two of us, we got it set up. I was entertained later while he figured out to fold it up; it is really too bad he would not allow me video tape this happening, we could probably win cash on AFV. So bottom line is he spent money but provided me some pretty good entertainment for a while, as well as picking up a nice bow for me, I really do like it and I now agree with Woody this bow is more suitable for me, weight and size wise.



Each point you see needs to pulled out, like popping an umbrella when the wind has flipped it inside out.








Oreo climbed inside right away to investigate and now she thinks it is her house!





The bow still needs to be properly set up for me, the weight is too heavy for me to pull at this point.
Going to take some learning to shoot it, I have a mechanical release for it, just needs to be installed. When I am actually shooting it I will post another picture, this is for target shooting and fun, not for hunting.

No comments: