Saturday, May 10, 2008

Turkey hunting story

Another pleasant day, nothing exciting to report, spent time doing chores, visiting, playing with Oreo, and checking out campgrounds for our return trip to Alberta. Woody and Dave went turkey hunting this morning.

Dave’s account of their morning hunt:
"The day started out just like the others with birds yelling in all different directions. I decided to set up on the closest bird and so we did. The bird gobbled a few times and did not come in, but while I was calling this bird, another one was just screaming his little head off. After some time I decided to go after the screamer. Just like everything else, the bird went quiet. I told Woody that the bird was on top of the ridge and that we had to go up this ridge. I gave a few calls but with no answer. As we neared the top, I came eye to eye with the bearded one, this great majestic bird. As he took flight out across the hollow, I could see he was of the pre-historic type. He was in the 24 to 26 pound class and Woody just let his jaw drop as the bird just flew away. As it may be I was just upset with myself but Woody took it all in stride and like Donald Trump said, "YOU’RE FIRED". I got a slight beating with his ball cap, a beating I truly needed NOT. We did not give up and we proceeded to march off in another direction in pursuit of another bird. Hark what was that I heard. AH another gobbler, we moved in and tried to seal the deal, but now dice this bird was not coming to us no matter what I sounded like. So as the gobbling got softer and softer as the bird moved away we made another hike in search of another bird. Woody was glad that he could tote the shotgun around and keep ole hop-along moving. We moved to a large field, sat down a spell, and just took in all of Gods' beautiful work, if ever there was peace it was here. As we decided to leave, we reminisced about all the days that we got to hunt together and we knew that it was not about the kill but the adventure, memories that will not leave our minds for a long time to come. It was my greatest pleasure to be able to take my Brother out and I will never forget those few days. So the adventures have not ended they have JUST BEGUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Looking forward to meeting the Rice’s tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive