Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gloomy start but awesome ending

Woke up to rainy, windy, cool weather today, just laid for a bit and listened to the rain pound on the roof, Oreo was not stirring at all, after awhile I got up and got ready for the day. Oreo did not ask to go out, she just got up from her bed and curled up on the floor beside my desk, good dog I thought, I did not want to take her out in this rain. I was checking our favourite message boards and the dish lost signal it was raining hard alright. Just then the phone rang, I grabbed the phone and headed for the door as I said Hello, (the signal is better standing in the open door), I could hear Woody saying “Hello, hello, Patsy are you there?” I opened the door further then he could hear me. I stood in the open doorway being rained on, I tried backing up a little standing just inside the doorway, but then I would hear Woody say “are you still there” so, I moved ahead a little and the connection was good; we had a very good, short conversation, both of us happy to be chatting with each other, Woody did most of the talking and that was okay with me, I wanted to hear about the experiences he and gang were having in Africa. He was excited to share his news but also wanted assurance that we were doing okay here on our own, I assured him we were doing fine, and I was enjoying the quiet time as well as the family.
Woody shot a Blesbuck (spelling) with his bow, a Boone and Crocket he is told, and yesterday he got a warthog with a rifle; unfortunately, he has not been able to get any video of his hunts but has many pictures. They will enjoy a pig roasted on a spit courtesy of the owners, I think Huck shot the pig and the owner added a Fallow Deer as a gift, which will be donated, I am not sure who had the privilege of shooting the deer. When I asked him what Huck and StickNString (nickname) had taken, he said there are so many guys getting their animals he cannot remember who took what, so we will have to wait until all the stories are posted. The lodge offers Photo Safaris at no extra charge and tomorrow the safari is to some caves containing ancient writings, Woody is going along with whoever else is interested. Woody repeated several times what an awesome experience this is, how well they are taken care of and everyone is having a super time.
Well you know that was a highlight in my day, the rest of the day I spent time working on the blog, watching campers pull in for the weekend and other daily routine things.
Our daughter Tracy called confirming details for a Father’s Day get-together at their home tomorrow of course it will be minus one Father but fun none the less.

A fifth wheel pulled in just a short time ago, Canadian Sport Toy Hauler triple axel, not sure it is longer than ours but I know it is heavier, might get brave and venture over for a chat sometime this weekend. We contemplated purchasing a Canadian Sport Toy Hauler while we were shopping for a suitable fifth wheel for fulltime Rving but found this one for a good deal, it had what we required, decision made!

Deb, daughter, called, all excited to share the news that she had been in contact with Colleen, a girl that belonged to the marching band that three of our daughters were members of years ago. I was involved in the band as well, so this was exciting news. Turns out that Colleen and Deb both live in British Columbia, and Colleen is travelling to Kelowna from her home in Kamloops to attend a rodeo with Deb, oh yes they both love horses. Colleen is also in the process of setting up a website for all previous band members to access and keep in touch, very cool eh! Deb was asking if I still had pictures of the band years and could they be scanned to use on the website. I assured her I did have pictures and would scan them, as soon as possible, guess that will be my new project eh.

Wow, the campground is full, I took Oreo for a walk to the area she can run free off the leash for a fetch game, there is maybe two spots left for small units/tents or tent trailer. As I was leaving our campsite this evening to walk Oreo our new neighbours to the west came right over to greet Oreo, they obviously love dogs, the gentlemen said “let her come to me, she won’t hurt me”, I replied, “oh yes she might, she will jump all over you!”, he responded “oh, that’s no problem”, so I allowed Oreo to get close, sure enough she jumped, he just got down on his haunches, hugged her and started petting her which of course she loved, as he cuddled and petted her some more, she settled very quickly and was very happy with the attention, when he got up, he commented on what a beautiful dog she was. He also made the comment, “a pinch collar, shame on you”, I explained it was the only way I can control Oreo around strangers and other dogs, she is a very strong dog, and as much as she has met new people, she still goes nuts. I personally feel using a pinch collar is not the best and will cease to use it when I know she will behave in those situations without it. The dog training classes we enrolled her in insisted that all dogs wear pinch collars during the training sessions and Oreo learned quickly to obey when wearing it and did not behave when she did not wear it. I would rather keep her safe and feel safe myself, knowing she will obey than to walk without it. We continued to the park had a good game of fetch and returned home, Oreo immediately went to sleep, I chatted a bit with friends online, grabbed my book and headed for bed. Oh yes, there was a gorgeous sunset tonight, all purple, pink and blue, a spectacular sight and awesome end to a good day!

No comments:

Blog Archive