Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Woody is on his way to Africa

Getting up at 1:30 am was a struggle, we should have turned in earlier than we did but alas, we could not. We had some coffee and toast, Woody finished packing his carry on bag and off we went. A positive for travelling that time of morning, there was not much traffic. We arrived at the airport at 4:00 am, his flight was leaving at 6:05 am, and of course, they ask that you arrive 2 hours early for an International flight. We were on time, but the check in desk was not open and there was already a line up for check in, so we stood in the line-up, finally the check in desk opened at 4:38, a short time later more staff arrived and they opened 2 more check in desks, Woody got checked in (only passengers allowed up the to the check in desks) so I stood by and waited. I waved Woody goodbye and blew him a kiss as he also did, then he disappeared into customs. I went upstairs to an area where one can see the planes leaving but decided to not wait, there were many planes lined up, all Air Canada, so decided to head home, no point in waiting. Thinking back, I should have at least taken a picture of him but neither of us thought about doing that guess my memory will have to serve on this occasion. I proceeded home but could not sleep, just hopeful that all would go well for Woody going through customs and the flight. Ultimately, about 10:00 am I crawled into bed and fell asleep. Woody called just after 11:00 am to let me know that all went well only lost his shampoo and body wash, had not thought about the liquid restriction, but oh well not a big deal that is easily replaced. I read for a while thinking I would fall asleep again, that did not happen so I got up and took Oreo out for a walk, had a bite to eat and then spent some more time with Oreo outside. Michelle and Chris had invited me over for a pizza fondue, so headed over to their house about 3:30 pm or so. Enjoyed the visit and the meal, but was feeling a bit detached from the world at this point, it has been a long while since I have been separated from Woody. The last long separation we had was his trip to Japan in 1995, he was gone for 3 months, then home for 2 weeks and gone again for 2 months, I kept reminding myself that this trip was just over 2 weeks, not really long at all. I know this is an experience of a lifetime for Woody, I will be just fine with family, and friends close by, along with Oreo to play with and demand my attention. Life is good!

No comments:

Blog Archive